Sunday 12 January 2014

Truecrypt Linux File System Type

As you can see from my previous posts, I managed to get Truecrypt installed on Linux.

I then created a new container and was asked what kind of file system to use.

Now on Windows you are normally asked between FAT and NTFS.

I know that Linux normally uses different file systems (ext2, ext3, ext4 etc.) and that Windows can only see FAT and NTFS. But I also know that Linux is more tolerant of other file systems.

So in the end I took the only choice I thought was logical: FAT.

I figure that this way I'll be able to see the container in Windows if I need to. I don't even know if the containers are compatible between Windows and Linux but at least I'll be able to test it and not get stuck at some earlier hurdle.

Bear in mind though that there is a file size limit for FAT, it is 4GB. I need to look into this whole file system chicanery later if I need to create larger containers. For now, this will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts