Saturday, 8 February 2014

The winlogon notification subscriber termsrv is taking long time to handle RDS & Xenapp

Our RDS environment at work slowed to a crawl over a couple of days. Specifically, the logon and logoff times became extremely long, of the order of a minute or so.

There were some clues in the event logs, namely events with id 6005 and 6006 with the error message : "the winlogon notification subscriber termsrv is taking long time to handle rds -xenapp".

I pulled my hair out trying to figure it out. This is why I find supporting Windows systems (and especially RDS) to be extremely frustrating. You find yourself eliminating things one by one....

We eliminated a number of potential root causes such as problems with the AD, with group policy and more.

This affected all our RDS servers too which I just couldn't work out.

I spoke with one of our Infrastructure experts at work and even he couldn't work it out.

In the end, the problem resolved itself. To this day, I still have no idea why the problem came to be in the first place and how it went away, all on it's own.....

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing about this and hijacking the search results which screws me over when I have the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, we have the same problem on our Xenapp servers on random sessions, I didn't found a solution yet. Do you push windows updates on your servers regularly or not ?
    Thank you.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts