Sunday 12 January 2014

Linux Folder Padlock Symbol

I was looking at one of my Truecrypt containers today and I noticed that some of the sub-folders had a padlock icon on them.

I did some googling and apparently this means they are owned by "root" a super user that in Ubuntu/Mint does not even exist??!

I checked and my username apparently had permissions BUT the files and folders had suddenly become read only. Very strange, seeing as I had not done anything except occasionally mount the container itself as read-only. It seemed that the setting had "stuck".

Anyway, I managed to get rid of it by using a command "chmod" I found from this thread:

Open a terminal window.
sudo su
chmod a+rwx <folder name>

It worked a treat! I have some experience of chmod but I forgot most of it, will have to revisit it at some point soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts