Sunday 26 January 2014

Exchange 2003 Mailbox Permissions Report

The boss asked me to produce a report of all mailbox permissions.

We're currently on Exchange 2003 which has minimal functionality, certainly no fancy reports or anything! In fact, I'm not sure later versions do either.

I looked around and there are a couple of ways.

The best, report-wise, is to use a program from Quest (now owned by Dell) called Quest Security Explorer. This allows for all manner of fancy reports about various security/permissions parameters of your infrastructure. It's no free but you can get an evaluation license which may be enough for your needs.

The downside is that you need to install on your local workstation some kind of Exchange extensions, in order for the program to communicate properly with your Exchange Server. I tried to fish around for our disc but eventually gave up.

There is also a tool called ADModify which I just could not get to work in our environment. Here is a tutorial if you are interested.

Luckily, I found a Powershell command that will produce a report. In my last post I mentioned how to redirect Powershell screen output to a text file and I use this technique here. I used this script which I obtained from this page (click here if you want the longer explanation from the author). This script will dump all info to the screen, see my previous blog post for how to redirect the output to a text file.

It worked a treat although the report is quite ugly. But it gives all the information needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts