Friday 15 February 2013

Accidentally Deleted Partition FDISK - How To Recover Deleted Partition In Windows 7

Accidentally Deleted Partition FDISK - How To Recover Deleted Partition In Windows 7

So here we build machines using Norton Ghost images saved on a removable hard disk.

Now I only went to use fdisk to erase the partitions on the system disk in the PC and went and wiped out the entire removable disk too!

I broke a sweat! Up to 2TB of images down the pan!

If you've come here and done the same then this is the tool for you. I looked around, some are paid, some are horribly outdated, but this baby does the trick and it's free: TestDisk.

Just download and run it, it's pretty self-explanatory. It basically detects any connected disks and then you can run a quick search for partitions. It found the one I had deleted and then I wrote the new partition back to the drive. edit: here is a great tutorial with screenshots.

All appears to be fine. I won't know until the disk owner returns though! But so far, this tool, TestDisk  looks to have been a life saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts